9.24.2015

Chewies

Hi everyone!

The other day I went to Downtown to check out the new Nordstrom. With their massive 3 level retail space it made me extremely hungry after shopping around. We decided to leave Downtown and head to a restaurant located in Kits, called Chewies. I've never been to Chewies before so I didn't know what to expect but I heard from my friend that they serve amazing deep fried chicken. This restaurants menu is based on New Orleans inspired dishes that serves local seafood and Creole & Cajun dishes.

I tried to take some interior images but considering it was dinner time & they didn't have much bright interior lighting, it was very difficult to capture how the interior space looked like.
Their restaurant is split into two sections. The entrance level had several high top seatings and a open kitchen area. Two stair steps up, you reach the second section where the bar is located. They had multiple side seatings along the window side and they also had tables near the inner corner.

Parking could be a pain in the ass, so I recommend car pooling with your buddies. We were lucky enough to find a parking spot one block down. Majority of the paring spots are pay parking unless you are lucky enough to find the 2 hour max free parking, so be prepared bring some coins with you or have the PaybyPhone App ready.









At first, we were planning to order our own separate dishes BUT my friend suggested lets just share everything because their deep fried chicken is HUGE.

So for appetizer, we ordered the Pan Fried Oysters ($16.00)- Panko bread crusted Fanny Bay Oysters with house made tartar sauce. Absolutely delicious! I suggest not to dip the tartar sauce because it takes away from the actual oyster flavour. There was definitely enough flavour already so no sauce to me was necessary.



For the main entree, we got the Southern Fried Chicken ($19.00)- Two day marinated buttermilk Rossdown Farms Fried Chicken, Cajun Honey butter drizzle, mash & beans. I can not stop raving about how delicious this chicken was. Possibly one of the best chicken dishes I've ever had. It was crunchy on the outside and the inner meat was so juicy and soft. The sauce they used to pair with the chicken just made it 10 times better. The honey butter drizzle is a sweet sauce, similar to maple syrup texture and taste. The portion was huge so for $19.00 it was such a steal! I went with my girlfriend, so sharing was the perfect portion for us. But if you are a big eater, you can probably just eat this big piece of goodness all for yourself !


Last but not least, we ordered the Pecan Pie ($8.00) with whipped cream and chocolate sauce drizzled on the bottom. To be honest, I thought this dessert was WAY too sweet for my liking. The crunchy crust was delicious but the pie itself was already really sweet so to pair it up with whipped cream and chocolate was a bit too much for my tastebuds.


Service: 3/5

Food: 4/5 (even though the dessert wasn't my favorite, the appetizer & the chicken were both winners to me)

Price: $-$$

Overall Rating: 3.5/5

Thanks for reading!
-Jess

 Chewies Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment