9.06.2015

Hubbub Sandwiches On Cambie

Hi everyone!

Yesterday after my workout session, I decided to grab lunch at Hubbub Sandwiches on Cambie. When I arrived it was approximately 10:50am and they actually open at 11am, so I waited for 10 minutes outside with my friend. We were able to take a look inside through their big windows. The interior looks very nice. They had wooden panels along the wall and they used a lot of white tiles with red trim, which represented their logo/signage colors. Their color palette for the space is white and red and with the natural lighting popping in from the large head to floor windows, it really made the space look very bright and welcoming.

Their ordering system is you order from the front and pick up from the back. Seating is your choice, so you can choose where you would like to sit. I really like their garbage/recycling system because it really shows the customers where to put their garbage and recyclables.







When we were looking at the menu it was rather simple. 1) choose a base 2) pick a protein & the rest is optional. They only had two options in terms of base, either a sandwich or a salad bowl.

For sandwich they had the following ingredients:  Hubbub Secret Sauce, romaine lettuce, cilantro, pickled jalapenos & crunchy caramelized onions atop a toasty baguette.

For salad bowls they had the following ingredients: Romaine lettuce, crisp red & green cabbage tossed in citrus vinaigrette. Topped with red peppers, black beans, corn, celery, cilantro & pickled jalapenos.

I asked whether I was able to replace some items off from the sandwich because I was not a major fan of the pickled jalapenos & cilantro. But unfortunately they are not able to replace anything. They only had those set ingredients but they are able to take them out for you. I feel like the choices for sandwich and salad bowls were very limited because you aren't able to customize what you prefer.

In terms of the protein option they had: Pulled Pork, Turkey Sausage, Chicken Breast, Veggie or Prawns.

My friend went with the Pulled Pork Sandwich ($8.99). On the menu it says the pulled pork has been marinated for 24 hours and is spicy and tender.
My friends thoughts on the Pulled Pork Sandwich: The meat was very tender and the spiciness was good at the beginning but it began to build too strong on her and she wasn't able to taste much of the rest of the ingredients within her sandwich because the spice was too overpowering. The Pulled Pork reminded her of the Asian style Beef Brisket. Also the baguette was toasted to the point where it was extremely hard to bite. We both thought the bread was very hard and stiff and was not easy to eat. We were also disappointed how they did not have a whole wheat bread option.

I ordered the Chicken Breast Sandwich ($8.99) which was stated on the menu it has been steeped in citrus juices and coconut milk. After reading that description I was very tempted to try how that may taste. When I tried it, the chicken was dry, there was no taste of citrus juices or coconut milk. The romaine lettuce was just a big strip that was placed on top and the caramelized onion was just a strip of onion. The romaine lettuce wasn't the freshest of them all and I was rather disappointed with how it was put together. Overall they packaged it really well because it was tightly sealed so it was easy to hold and eat.






For drinks, I ordered their Ice Tea & Lemonade ($2.49) They make these drinks in house daily and is available on the side for you to fill up your cup. Their soda options are not your usual Pepsi and 7up, they have Boylan Sodas which was pretty unique. I tried their Basic Black Tea first and it was for sure unsweetened but it seriously has no taste what so ever so I went for the Ginger Orange Tea at the end. The Ginger Orange Tea is much more flavorful and the extra kick of Ginger flavor was definitely interesting.
I do like the drink but I don't think it was worth paying $2.49 for.


 
 





 Service: N/A (When the doors opened up, we were the first customers to arrive and the person opening up didn't seem too thrilled to see us at the door. He didn't smile or welcomed us into the space.)

Food: 2.5/5

Price: $

Overall Rating: 2.5/5

Enjoy!
-Jess

Hubbub Sandwiches Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato

2 comments:

  1. I had a sandwich at their Hornby street location several years ago when they first opened. Your story reminded me why I didn't bother to re-visit them - their bread was very hard and stiff back then as well. I realize that they need a bread that will hold up to the juices and sauces when they are wrapped for take out, but as you mentioned, this is very tough to chew.
    Perhaps, with enough feedback, the owners might reconsider their choice of bread.

    ReplyDelete